Roby Swan, Partner
Roby Swan joined The CDI Group in July 2015 as a Partner after establishing a second residence and base of operation for The CDI Group in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Roby also maintains a residence and an M&A practice based in London, England.
Roby started his career in 1971 with Pizza Hut prior to Pizza Hut become part of Yum! Brands. Early success in operations in the United States, combined with his MBA in International Business Administration from American Graduate School of International, Glendale, AZ, led to Roby being promoted in 1972 to Pizza Hut, S.A. de C.V. as Director General: Mexico, Central and South America. Roby is fluent in Spanish and English and moved to Mexico City in 1972.
Having created success in Mexico, Central and South America for Pizza Hut, S.A. de C.V., Roby was again promoted, this time to Area Vice President – Europe, Middle East and North Africa with Pizza Hut UK, Ltd. Roby moved to and was based in London, England beginning in 1976 and through 1981.
In late 1981, based in London, Roby embarked on the next phase of his business career which was to become an investor in, founder of and managed the growth of several successful companies:
In 1981, Roby became the Founder / Shareholder of Angelo American Restaurants, Ltd., a restaurant development company. In 1985 Roby sold Angelo American Restaurants, Ltd to GrandMet plc. (W.J. Grand Metropolitan, world headquarters in London, England).
In 1985, Roby became the Founder / Shareholder of Lofty Properties, Ltd, a residential property development company. Roby sold Lofty Properties, Ltd to a private development company based in London.
In 1988, Roby used his company building capabilities to help build Blockbuster Entertainment, parent of Blockbuster Video. Roby became the Managing Director of the United Kingdom for Blockbuster where he worked with Taylor Devine who at the time was Vice President, International Operations, also based in London.
In 1991, Roby left Blockbuster to be the Founder / Shareholder T-NETIX, Inc. a branch company based in London of a USA plc specializing in high security telephone management systems. In 1994 sold his business to the partner company.
In 1994, Roby became the Founder / Shareholder of CD Warehouse, UK, Ltd. CD Warehouse was a five store music retailer based in London. Roby sold CD Warehouse in 2008.
In 2011, Roby became and continues to be the principal investor in and advisor to Cottage Lane Kitchen. LLC with offices in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and London, England.
Roby brings a very special and successful career track record to the benefit to his CDI Clients: National and International, Entrepreneur/Founder/Investor and that of a company builder with two different major companies.
- AA from Casper College in Casper, WY
- BA from University of Wyoming in Laramie, WY
- BA and an MBA from American Graduate School of International Management in Glendale, AZ
Roby believes in giving back to the community and helping people in different communities
- From 1990 – 1996, Roby was a member of the North London Board of Directors of The Princes Trust.
- From 1997 – 2001, Roby was a Trustee to Head To Head Inner City Training, a charity providing skills-based training for disadvantaged young people in London.
- From 2006 and continuing today, Roby is an International Advisor to Going To School, which is an India based charity providing motivational programs to encourage school attendance and entrepreneurship in socially dis-advantaged women.
- From 2007 – 2010, Roby was a volunteer driver with Westway Community Transport, providing transportation to the elderly and disabled in Kensington and Chelsea Borough, London.